It was a battle of the two bottom teams in the Florida State League’s Northern Division. The Clearwater Threshers downed the Tampa Tarpons 10-3. Both teams now have 5-9 records as they fight to move up in the standings.
The Threshers had to come from behind for the win as the Yankees farm team used two solo home runs to get a quick 2-0 lead after two and half innings. The Threshers tied it up with two runs in the bottom of the third and pulled away with three runs in the sixth and five more runs in the seventh for a 10-3 win.
Starter Alejandro Requena pitched well but had to be taken out with two out in the fifth trailing 3-2 with a pitch count of 96. He pitch count was high because of six strikeouts and three walks in 4.2 innings. The Threshers bullpen of Gustavo Armas, Ismael Cabrera and Seth McGarry shutdown the Tarpons the rest of the way pitching 4.1 innings of shutout relief.
The story of the game was the Threshers offense which has been dormant in most of the early going. They scored 1o runs on 13 hits in the game scoring 2 runs in the third, 3 runs in the sixth and 5 runs in the eight.
Listed below are six of the key Thresher players who contributed to the ten runs:
- Nick Maton. The Threshers lead off hitter knocked in a run on a single in the third inning to raise his RISP batting average to .615 (8 for 13) with 10 RBIs in only 13 games. Watch HERE. Otherwise, he went 0 for 4 when no runners were on base or in scoring position.
- Simon Muzziotti. He likes hitting at Spectrum Field with three hits last night including slapping two doubles down the left field line. He is hitting .381 in the first six home games of the season. Watch HERE.
- Madison Stokes. He has been carrying Threshers offense in the first two weeks of the season. His double drove in two tack on runs in the seventh inning. Watch HERE. He is second in the FSL both in homers with three and RBIs with 12. He is hitting .321 in his first 14 games of the season.
- Jhailyn Ortiz and Rodolfo Duran. Ortiz had an adventurist game. He doubled down the third base line to drive in the tying run in the sixth and scored on what turned out to be the winning run on a base hit by Jake Scheiner to give the Threshers a 4-3 lead. See the Scheiner base hit below. He was hit by a pitch in the seventh, see HERE, and then scored on a base hit by Duran. Watch the Ortiz double and Duran’s single, HERE .
- Jake Scheiner. He had two RBIs on his base hit to left for the lead in the game in the sixth, watch HERE and a sacrifice fly tack on run in the seventh.
Finally, the Threshers put together the winning combination of good starting and bullpen pitching and and all nine batters in the lineup had at least one hit.